EXCEL, the long-defunct punk/metal fusion band from Venice, California, is planning to reunite for select live shows. Greg Saenz, who played drums for EXCEL from 1986 until 1992, tells BLABBERMOUTH.NET, "EXCEL are getting back together as a result of EXCEL bassist Shaun Ross and myself jamming with Alex Barreto (CHAIN OF STRENGTH) on guitar in Rialto, California We are going to continue rehearsals in Los Angeles with vocalist Dan Clements, and we are brainstorming a full-on assault of Southern California and hopefully beyond."
Formed in 1983 under the name CHAOTIC NOISE, the band changed its name to EXCEL in 1985. EXCEL released two albums — "Split Image" (1987) and "The Joke's On You" (1989) — before guitarist Adam Siegel joined INFECTIOUS GROOVES in 1990. In 1992, Siegel and Saenz left EXCEL to form the power trio MY HEAD. After five years of silence, EXCEL returned to record its third and final album, "Seeking Refuge" (1995), and then broke up for good.
In 2003, former members of EXCEL considered legal action against METALLICA over the song "Enter Sandman", which they claimed borrowed heavily from the EXCEL track "Tapping Into The Emotional Void". ("Tapping" was originally included on EXCEL's "The Joke's On You" LP, which surfaced in 1989 — two years prior to the release of METALLICA's self-titled CD.)
- INNUMERABLE FORMS / MAMMOTH GRINDER July Aust Tour
- TWITCHING TONGUES Video For "In Love There Is No Law"
- Arrest Records To Release VANITY "The Cast Shade"
- New Releases Update From SHACKLES
- Supports For MDC August Australian Tour Announced
- HIGHER POWER Release 7 Song Demo
- MURPHY'S LAW Australian Tour For September
- Stream Two Tracks From DOWNSIDE /LEGIONS Split 7"
- HIGHTIME Announce East Coast Winter Tour
- New ALPHA & OMEGA Song Off "No Rest, No Peace"